the databases that need to be restored. Refer to the vendor documentation for a full description of RestoreChecker’s configuration file options.
RestoreChecker can also perform several different behaviors to ensure
the recoverability of SQL Server backups, including the following:
• perform data integrity checks with DBCC CHECKCATALOG, DBCC
CHECKALLOC, and DBCC CHECKTABLE operations
• dynamically restore the most recent and full database backup to
another instance of SQL Server, either locally or over the network
• drop a restored database to free up space on the target server
• ensure that only unprocessed backup files are handled to avoid
• log any operation to a table for future tracking
RestoreChecker also logs all of its activity to the RestoreCheckerLog
table to provide an easy and centralized place for follow-up. The cre-
ator of RestoreChecker, Yaniv Etrogi, has also provided several que-
ries against this table so you can automate reports for failures and
successes as needed.
is a utility that automatically
performs several tests to
verify that your backup files
SQL Server 2005 or later;
.NE T Framework 3. 5
HOW tO Get it:
RestoreChecker runs on OSs supported by SQL Server 2005 and later.
Additional requirements include:
• .NET Framework 3. 5 must be installed on the machine where the
• The Windows account executing RestoreChecker.exe requires
• The SQL Server account executing RestoreChecker.exe
requires read-only permissions to MSDB..BackupSet and
MSDB..BackupMediaFamily on the server where it executes.
Visit the SQL Server Utilities website to download the free version of
RestoreChecker. As always, SQL Server Pro wants to hear your feedback at the Tool Time discussion forum. ■